After months of planning, studying for the admissions exam, distance learning degree writing essays, and wrangling recommenders, you have just hit the submit button for your business school applications and are now wondering what’s next as the MBA waiting game begins. Here are six tips to make the most of this period.
- Be happy: What did you enjoy before essays and GMAT scores became the focal point of your life? Take this opportunity to relax a bit, read a book, or go for a run.
It’s likely your social life has languished on the back burner for the past few months, distance learning mba so spend some time reconnecting with your family and friends before every waking minute is spent job hunting and networking with your fellow MBA classmates. While accomplishing a huge goal such as gaining admission to an MBA program will feel good, friends, exercise, and relationships are the path to longer-lasting happiness.
- Fantasize about your plan B: It’s tempting to start planning out your first few weeks on campus-the clubs you plan to join and the apartment you will hunt for-but reminding yourself that you have alternatives is healthy. You’re young, intelligent, and accomplished. If you didn’t go to business school in the fall, what career shift or huge dream might you fulfill?
Maybe you would flee to Paris and take art lessons, learn Mandarin (in China), distance learning mba or hike the Appalachian Trail. Fantasizing about plan B is more practical than you think; when you start receiving those acceptance letters, you’ll have a head start on your summer plans!
- Avoid discussion boards: While commiserating with strangers over the Internet may seem like an attractive outlet for your anxiety, focusing on an outcome you can no longer control will only add to stress in your life. While it’s certainly positive to network with your potential future classmates, make sure you approach any rumors or myths with a balanced perspective.
In fact, Internet rumors are so rampant in the MBA admissions process, distance learning mba schools like the Stanford Graduate School of Business and the University of Chicago Booth School of Business have posts or webpages dedicated to dispelling some of the most common offenders.
It is natural to search for certainty in an uncertain process. With admission rates hovering at 10 percent for the most competitive programs, many candidates feel anxiety about the final decisions. However, if you have put together the strongest possible application you can and worked to impact every factor under your control, it’s time to relax and wait for the results.
- Prepare for interviews: If you absolutely must remain focused on your hk mba plans, starting your interview prep is a good outlet for your energy. Working on your communication and presentation skills can be an ongoing challenge.
Practicing common interview questions with friends and family will both make you more prepared when the interview invitation arrives and minimize your anxiety.
- Become a local, even if only for a few days: Kurt Ahlm, associate dean of student recruitment and admissions at Booth, says MBA candidates should remember that they will be choosing not just a school but a city or town as well. Therefore, now is an ideal time to plan that campus visit, and to explore the region you may soon call home for the next two years.
“Investigating average rent prices, transportation, cost of living, entertainment and overall appeal will give you even more information with which to make a final decision,” Ahlm says.
- Stay connected: Demonstrating continued and genuine interest in your MBA program of choice is one of the best ways to show the admissions committee that you are strongly committed to attending their program. How to do this? Reach out to alumni for an insider view of the program, distance learning degree and perhaps some interview pointers as well.
If the school plans to hold an information session online or in a city nearby, sign up or show up. You can never have too much information about your target school. The more opportunities you create to connect with the program, the better you’ll be able to judge its culture and community to determine if it’s the right fit for you.
Stacy Sukov Blackman launched her MBA consulting company specializing in business school branding in 2001 and has since helped thousands of clients gain admission to the most selective business schools in the world, many with merit scholarships. Blackman has degrees from both the Wharton School and the Kellogg Graduate School of Management, and is the author of The MBA Application Roadmap: The Essential Guide to Getting Into a Business School. She has also published a series of online guides which contain in depth guidance on how to develop essays for top business schools.
Are you currently in the business work force? Have you ever wanted to further your education and get an MBA? It’s a common thought of most who have entered the work force recently and are looking to move up in a company. Without an MBA, you can’t go too far with just work experience. distance learning degree So how do you get an MBA without leaving work?
Most business people are probably asking this question and the answer is by getting an MBA online. There are more programs online than you would think that offer an MBA online and at an affordable price. It’s a great option for those who are looking to further their education and climb the corporate ladder.
Here’s how you can get started:
- Start searching for an online MBA program and as you search, start to consider the requirements and details of the program. Are you starting to see how easy it is? It’s much easier than people think.
- Read reviews on MBA programs and consider what others are saying about their degree and coursework. It’s important to get views from others and know how their experience was. Their insight can help you select the best program.
- Which programs offer the expertise you need? Some programs are more specialized than others and offer specific courses in different fields. Consider getting a more specialized degree or being more general and well rounded in your studies. The degree depends on the field you want to work in and what employers are looking for.
- Consider the amount of hours for completion and the price. You will notice that the price of MBA degrees online are reasonable and not expensive compared to traditional degrees that require you to be on campus.
Are you convinced about getting an MBA online? It’s a big decision, so don’t try to make up your mind in one day. Carefully plan your decision with plenty of research and insight from others. Online MBA programs are great resources for people in the business world and could be your way to a better and more fulfilling position.
Start by doing basic research of MBA programs and see what is available. At least inform yourself by inquiring and gathering information. Even if you don’t want to return to education just yet, it’s better to know what’s available for the time you need to get an MBA. Star searching, get educated and improve the business world with your knowledge.
Working in the business world for a few years will soon demonstrate why someone needs an MBA. To climb the business ladder or step into the next position, you typically need an MBA. Companies want experienced individuals with a strong academic background and relevant work experience. Why do businesses require so much? Well, they don’t want to spend more time than they need to train individuals, especially when they can learn the knowledge through an academic program.
The importance of having relevant work experience and an MBA proves you capable of working several jobs in multiple capacities, and companies admire these attributes. A business wants to know how fast you can learn their business and policies, and improve their infrastructure. With an MBA, you have adequate knowledge to do so and be a great asset for a company. An MBA will also separate you from other applicants in a job hunt. When you send your resume to a company, they will notice your education and take note of the effort you have given. This provides the boost you need to acquire a position that others aren’t qualified for.
Another reason why education is important in the business world is because it enables you to make more money in a position. We all want substantial income, to support our families and ourselves. So, with an MBA, a business is more likely to pay you a higher salary for your work. The more education you receive the higher the pay increment increases. For an undergraduate degree, you can only make so much unless you receive a promotion. However, when you start adding master’s level education, the pay increases by a considerable amount.
Now that you know the major reasons why an MBA is necessary, you’re probably wondering how difficult it is to receive an MBA. To be honest, it’s not difficult. Why not? Because there are online MBA programs offered at affordable prices and they don’t require you to quit your job. Some people believe you must stop working to return to school, but with an online MBA program you don’t have to leave your current position to be educated.
As you continue working in the business world, work on your education in the evening when you finish work or at other times when you aren’t working. Online classes make education easy to schedule. Never commute to a university campus–save the time and the money you would use.